Contribution to sustainable development
In September 2015, the UN General Assembly approved the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which included 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 goals in an action plan in favor of people, the planet and prosperity.
This Agenda explicitly recognizes the role of the private sector as a driver of productivity, inclusive economic growth and job creation. Thus, the Nueva Pescanova Group, which is committed to promoting a positive impact on the environment in which it operates, recognizes the relevance of the SDGs as a guide to help meet the sustainable development challenges. It works in aligning its business strategy with the SDGs and in measuring its contribution to the fulfillment of the 2030 Agenda.
In the Nueva Pescanova Group we incorporate the 17 Sustainable Development Goals into our activities: fishing, aquaculture, processing and the commercialization of seafood productsin all the countries where we operate. We are convinced of the role that SDGs play in society and economy to improve our environment and the quality of life.
For that reason, we analyzed 226 projects in the field of CSR in 4 countries – Ecuador, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Namibia, and how they are contributing to the SDGs, and specifically to the fulfillment of their 169 goals (Download HERE the Contribution Report of the Grupo Nueva Pescanova to the SDGs).
Number of CSR projects contributing to each Sustainable Development Goal in the 4 countries analyzed in which the Nueva Pescanova Group operates
Sustainable Development Goals
Our corporate responsibility strategy adopts a firm commitment to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) (Download HERE the main CSR Projects of the Nueva Pescanova Group classified by SDGs).
Our actions have a greater impact on OBJECTIVE 8 (Decent work and economic growth), OBJECTIVE 12 (Responsible production and consumption)and OBJECTIVE 9 (Industry, innovation and infrastructure).
OBJECTIVE 8: Decent work and economic growth
The private sector has a decisive role in this objective, since it is the key actor in the promotion of decent, inclusive and sustainable employment, to achieve fair and prosperous societies. We work from an equality perspective in terms of gender, age, race or condition, and in the training of ‘our people’ to promote the improvement of their capabilities.
Our programs and projects:
- We are committed to labor responsibility, promoting 100% legal, fair and decent employment.
- We fully comply with the applicable labor laws, fighting against all forms of forced jobs, modern slavery and child labor.
- We facilitate the freedom of union association and promote full employmentfor all, through inclusion policies of people with different abilities and inclusion programs of disadvantaged groups.
- Transversally to all the companies of the Nueva Pescanova Group, we implement programs of occupational health and safety at work, work accidents prevention, equality, diversity, identity and corporate culture, personal and professional development, and talent management.
- We invest in thetechnological modernization and in processes and equipment innovationto boost economic growth and productivity.
OBJECTIVE 12: Responsible production and consumption
Efficiency means generating the highest productivity with the lowest exploitation of resources, reducing the degradation and pollution while achieving a better quality of life.
- We have certified the production processes aiming at continuous improvement, and we implement technological improvements to achieve a more sustainable and efficient resources management.
- We properly manage the waste generated, reducing chemical and biological pollution, controlling emissions to the atmosphere and water, and promoting circular economy practices through valorization solutions.
OBJECTIVE 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure
We invest in new technologies and more efficient equipment, promoting the rational and sustainable use of resources as well as the adoption of new cleaner and improved industrial processes and logistics to be more effective and efficient.
- We certify our facilities, equipment, processes and people to guarantee the highest degree of quality, food safety, traceability, sustainability and efficiency.
- We continuously invest in technological modernization and in the innovation of processes, equipment and products to develop more sustainable solutions, which use resources more efficiently with cleaner technologies and processes.